IIS showing 404 error for CakePHP routing prefixes for instance located in subfolder

I have this Single Page Application built using AngularJS that resides in the document root.

The SPA communicates with an API built using CakePHP 3.5.x. The CakePHP instance resides in a folder named /api. All requests from the SPA are sent to www.example.com/api/some-action.json. This is working out fine and no issues here.

However, I also have a administration backend built in the CakePHP and accessible via a CakePHP routing prefix of “admin”.

If the Cake app were to reside in top-level documentroot, I could have easily accessed this via www.example.com/admin. Since the Cake app is in the api subfolder, I’m attempting to access it via www.example.com/api/admin and getting a 404 from IIS (default 404 page of IIS).
enter image description here

If I simply access www.example.com/api - I drop to the default CakePHP start page that you see after a fresh installation… so no issues with the installation itself.
enter image description here

And this URL structure works just fine on my local xampp instance with Apache.

Here are my IIS Rewrite rules:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<configuration>
    <system.web>
        <customErrors mode="Off" />
    </system.web>
	<system.webServer>
		<rewrite>
			<rules>
				<rule name="Exclude direct access to webroot/*" stopProcessing="true">
					<match url="^webroot/(.*)$" ignoreCase="false" />
					<action type="None" />
				</rule>
				<rule name="Rewrite routed access to assets(img, css, files, js, favicon)" stopProcessing="true">
					<match url="^(img|css|cache_css|font|files|js|audio|cache_js|favicon.ico|favicon-*.png|Favicon*.png|AndroidIcon*.png|manifest.json)(.*)$" />
					<action type="Rewrite" url="webroot/{R:1}{R:2}" appendQueryString="false" />
				</rule>				
				<rule name="Rewrite requested file/folder to index.php" stopProcessing="true">
					<match url="^(.*)$" ignoreCase="false" />
					<action type="Rewrite" url="index.php" appendQueryString="true" />
				</rule>
			</rules>
		</rewrite>
	</system.webServer>
</configuration>

Stack:

• Windows Server 2016
  • IIS 10
  • PHP 7.1
  • AngularJS 1.6
  • CakePHP 3.5.x
  • Percona XtraDB (MySQL)

What tweaks in the rewrite rules do I need to carry out to get the CakePHP routing prefix(es) and any url parts that follow to render properly? The rule should take care of www.example.com/api/admin/*.

Sincere thanks.