Load component on plugin run?

Hii there,
In our project, we have a component that allows us to easily add options to our database form our plugins (a bit like WordPress does it).
For this, we need to run a small piece of code in the plugin to tell the component a new setting is there:

$this->loadComponent('Kikioboeru/Kikioboeru.Settings');

// Create a new settings group
 $this->Settings->registerGroup('contact','Contact Settings');

// Add all settings for this plugin to the settings component
$this->Settings->registerOption('text','smtp[host]','','contact');

I’ve added this to the AppController of the plugin, but this gives a small issue since this code is never ran until we actually do something with the plugin itself.
This is a bit of an issue since it doesn’t use the plugin itself, the plugin basically just tells to the main app: “hey, I’m here, and these are the settings I want you to show the user (so he/she can change it without having to code)”.

Where should I add this code in the plugin (not in the main app) so that it will run when the plugin it loaded?

Seems like this is maybe the sort of thing that the bootstrap option of the plugin loader is for?

I imagined that too yes, but this only seems to break the app.
I placed the code in plugin’s bootstrap.php like so:

<?php 
use Cake/Core/Plugin;

$this->loadComponent('Kikioboeru/Kikioboeru.Settings');

$this->Settings->registerGroup('contact','Contact Settings');

$this->Settings->registerOption('text','smtp[host]','','contact');

but this results in: the error: Call to undefined method Kikioboeru\Contact\Plugin::loadComponent().

EDIT: I’ve hacked around it a little bit and put this code in the bootstrap.php of the plugin:

use Cake\Controller\Controller;

$controller = new Controller();
$controller->loadComponent('Kikioboeru/Kikioboeru.Settings');

$controller->Settings->registerGroup('contact','Contact Settings');

$controller->Settings->registerOption('text','smtp[host]','','contact');

While this does sorta work (it adds it to the options property just fine), when I go to the SettingsController and add the following code, the options property is empty again (probably because they are two seperate instances):

pr($this->Settings->options);

I solved this issue by making use of (read: abuse) the Configure class instead of making it a property in the component class.