Error the Authentication Service Interface

Issue with AuthenticationServiceProviderInterface

Hello, I am following the tutorial to create a user and authentication system : Quick Start - 2.x

I followed the steps correctly but I got this error:

Fatal error : Class App\Application contains 1 abstract method and must therefore be declared abstract or implement the remaining methods (Authentication\AuthenticationServiceProviderInterface::getAuthenticationService) in **/Users/clementlanot/Sites/CLPRESS/src/Application.php

When I add:

class Application extends BaseApplication implements AuthenticationServiceProviderInterface

I searched but I don’t understand how to fix this? Can you help me ? Thank you !!

Implementing an interface means you need to add the methods this interface declares.

The interface authentication/AuthenticationServiceProviderInterface.php at 2.x · cakephp/authentication · GitHub decalres 1 method which is

public function getAuthenticationService(ServerRequestInterface $request): AuthenticationServiceInterface;

and just like the documentation says you have to add that method to your Application.php with the code block given in the documentation.

Otherwise please watch/follow my cakefest workshop where I go through the whole process

1 Like

Hi, thank you for your super fast response!

I did exactly what the doc asks to do, copying the given code but I got this error.

Is it possible that I made a mistake earlier in the rest of my code or that there is a problem with my Cakephp app?

I’m not new to Cake but I hadn’t touched it for 2 years so a lot of things have changed. I will watch your video to see if I find a solution.

<?php
declare(strict_types=1);

namespace App;

use Cake\Core\Configure;
use Cake\Core\ContainerInterface;
use Cake\Datasource\FactoryLocator;
use Cake\Error\Middleware\ErrorHandlerMiddleware;
use Cake\Http\BaseApplication;
use Cake\Http\Middleware\BodyParserMiddleware;
use Cake\Http\Middleware\CsrfProtectionMiddleware;
use Cake\Http\MiddlewareQueue;
use Cake\ORM\Locator\TableLocator;
use Cake\Routing\Middleware\AssetMiddleware;
use Cake\Routing\Middleware\RoutingMiddleware;

use Authentication\AuthenticationService;
use Authentication\AuthenticationServiceInterface;
use Authentication\AuthenticationServiceProviderInterface;
use Authentication\Identifier\IdentifierInterface;
use Authentication\Middleware\AuthenticationMiddleware;
use Cake\Routing\Router;
use Psr\Http\Message\ServerRequestInterface;

class Application extends BaseApplication implements AuthenticationServiceProviderInterface
{

Its not about the use statements at the top - its about the function you have to delcare inside your

But please follow the video and everything should be clear.

Rookie mistake, thanks for your help! great video !

In your video you did :

} catch (ForbiddenException Sex){
	$this->Flash->error("Erreur: l'utilisateur ne peut pas être supprimé.");
}

It’s not working for me, but I try this and its work.

} catch (\Exception $e) {
}

Can u help me to understand why ?

If you don’t specify the fully qualified class name (FQCN) when referencing a class you have to add the use statemenet at the top of your class.

So only doing

} catch (ForbiddenException Sex){

won’t work because you need

use \Authorization\Exception\ForbiddenException;

at the top to import that class.

But EVERY exception is a sub-class of the parent \Exception class, therefore a generic

} catch (\Exception $e) {
}

will catch ALL exceptions, no matter which one it is. (\Exception is a FQCN because it starts with a \)

But in this example we only want to catch exceptions which are related to the authorization system, therefore we only want to catch \Authorization\Exception\ForbiddenException

Since you seem a bit unfimilar with PHP namespaces I would also recommend you watch this video

Thank you ! It’s true that the last time I developed and used Cake PHP, it must have been with version 2 and the Auth component. I lost my touch a bit on all his statements, it’s true!

Hey Kevin,

thank you for your Video, that helped me a lot. Unfortunately I get an error

Undefined constant Authentication\Identifier\IdentifierInterface::CREDENTIAL_USERNAME

Here ist the snipplet of the position of the error:

` APP/Application.php at line 158 [(edit)](phpstorm://open?file=C:\PHP\cms\src\Application.php&line=158)

||`        'queryParam' => 'redirect',`|
| --- | --- |
||`    ]);`|
||``|
||`    $fields = [`|
||`        IdentifierInterface::CREDENTIAL_USERNAME => 'email',`|
||`        IdentifierInterface::CREDENTIAL_PASSWORD => 'password'`|
||`    ];`|
||`    // Load the authenticators. Session should be first.`|
||`    $service->loadAuthenticator('Authentication.Session');`|`

I guess now I am very close that it will be running soon with authentication :slight_smile:

Thank you very much for your help

David

If you are running on the latest version of Cake and the Auth plugins these constants have moved to

\Authentication\Identifier\AbstractIdentifier::CREDENTIAL_USERNAME => 'email',
\Authentication\Identifier\AbstractIdentifier::CREDENTIAL_PASSWORD => 'password'

Yeaaah!! Great!! That worked immediately!! :heart_eyes: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Thank you very much!

David