Cannot get Authentication tutorial to work

I’ve got a project originally written in Cake 2, which is long overdue for an upgrade. I can’t for the life of me figure out where I’m going wrong here.

I’m running through the CakePHP 4 tutorial, and am completely stuck on the Authentication section. I’ve started over entirely from scratch six times now, and every time, when I attempt to log in, I receive the error “Invalid username or password”.

I’ve tried both creating new users and editing those users, and every time, it’s the same error. The passwords seem to be hashing correctly in the database, but fail to match on login.

What’s truly bizarre is that I was able to convert a different project from Cake 2 to Cake 4 with no problems. The difference was that I used the ACL plugin instead of the Authentication plugin. This project does not require that level of access control, however, so I thought using the more basic method described in the tutorial would be more appropriate.

Like I said, I’ve been through the tutorial, starting over completely from scratch, six times now. I’m long past frustrated, and can’t figure out where I’m going wrong.

impossible to answer without knowing what you already did…