Float Formatting in Template

I’m trying to properly format numbers that are being displayed in an edit template. As an example, in MySQL the field is defined as DECIMAL(4,2). The saved value is 9.20.

In the view template, I have:
$this->Number->format($race->dial, [‘places’ => 2])
which correctly displays 9.20

However, in the edit template, I have:
$this->Form->control(‘dial’);
which incorrectly displays 9.2

I have tried adding a number of options to the control to properly mask the field but none seem to work. Whether is it 2 or 3 decimal points, I need to make sure it displays the trailing zeros.

I feel like I’m missing something real simple here but I’m struggling. Any suggestions on how to display all decimal places?

Thanks

Usually instead of messing around with a frameworks “formatting” I just use php like

$namt = number_format($amt, 2, '.', '');

And done. I use cake, laravel, and yii2, and a custom framework, and found it best to stray away from too much framework biased code. The “guts” of these frameworks is regular php code anyway.

This has nothing to do with Cake, and everything to do with browsers. Here are some options to try.

You are correct and I know number_format() will give the formatting I’m looking for (there is some nice JS code that would work too). What I’m struggling with is my inexperience with how to incorporate that into the View code. In my edit.ctp template, I display the value from the database which is supposed to be 9.20 but it shows as 9.2. Using the framework code:

<?= $this->Form->control('dial', ['label' => 'Dial']); ?>

how do I incorporate number_format() in this situation?
Thanks

It doesn’t matter how you format the value in the form field, the browser is going to get rid of all the extra trailing zeroes. The solution is 100% JavaScript. You can see this for yourself if you put something like 'value' => '100.100000' in the options array in your control call. The browser will render it as just “100.1”.

Gave your answers some more thought and I agree that controlling how a float is presented is a challenge. Also, I like JS but if I can do it “natively”, I want to give it a shot. With that, I attacked this from a different angle. Using the same code example I presented earlier, this is what I did:

echo $this->Form->control(‘dial’, [
‘label’ => ‘Dial’,
‘type’ => ‘text’,
‘value’ => number_format($race->dial, 2)
]);

And this works. Now, what I don’t know is if what I did is “legal”. Am I breaking any coding religion here?

With numbers and decimals some thought has to apply.

If money usually you store in the database something like 5.25.

If scientific maybe 5.24987741230

If price per item, 5.24987741230

So display and store per requirement.

Also, if rounding a number, don’t round till you are at the final answer.

Like:

5.24987741230 times 1000,000 units = 5,249,877.4123

Then round to 5,249,877.41

In this application, rounding is not an issue. There are a series of decimal numbers that have either 2 or 3 positions to the right of the decimal point but they have to be 0 padded to fill all 2 or 3 positions. It looks like the solution is working properly.

Thanks for everyone’s help.

With a generic text field, people will be able to enter letters and punctuation and the like into it, which should be prevented by the browser if it knows it’s a number field. Also, you won’t get the (dubious) functionality of being able to “scroll” the number. If you’re okay with all of that, then this is probably fine.