Associations - Double foreign key

Hi,

is there a smooth way to implement an association where it will match either of two foreign keys?

My problem is best described by using an example:

In a football match (MatchesTable), you have two teams (TeamsTable) competing, so you’d need to have two foreign keys (home_id and away_id), which would each contain a Team entity. A match would normally have one home team and one away team, which gives the foreign key name as such.

You’d need to create two belongsTo associations in the MatchesTable and a hasMany association in the TeamsTable.

What I need:
Whenever I call the method $this->Teams->get($id, ['contain' => 'Matches']), it should contain all records that either match the home_id or the away_id foreign keys.

That way I can get all the matches a team has played, not only its home games.

What happens:
Right now, I can only set one foreign key (for instance home_id) and then it loads only the team’s home matches.

What I’ve tried:
I have added an hasMany association to Matches with two foreign keys, but then I also need to add bindingKeys.

// MatchesTable
$this->hasMany('Matches', [
    'foreignKey' => ['home_id', 'away_id'],
    'bindingKey' => ['id', 'id'],
]);

// TeamsController
public function view(string $id = null): void
{
    $team = $this->Teams->get(1, ['contain' => 'Matches']);

$this->set(compact('team'));
}

The resulting query gives me this condition:

WHERE 
  (
    Matches.home_id, Matches.away_id
  ) IN (
    (1, 1)
  )

This query will never be true, as a team won’t play against itself.

I tried adding a custom finder:

// TeamsTable
$this->hasMany('Matches', [
    'foreignKey' => 'home_id',
    'finder' => 'relative',
]);

// MatchesTable
public function findRelative(Query $query, array $options): Query
{
    $or = $query->newExpr()->or([
        'home_id' => 1,
        'away_id' => 1,
    ]);

return $query->where($or);
}

Which results in the following query:

WHERE 
  (
    (
      home_id = 1 
      OR away_id = 1
    ) 
    AND Matches.home_id in (1)
  )

As you might see, the Cake built query appends the foreignKey condition to my custom finder method.

My current workaround

//MatchesTable
public function findRelative(Query $query, array $options): Query
{
    if (!isset($options['id'])) {
       throw new MissingArgumentException('Missing `id` when find relative matches.');
    }
    $or = $query->newExpr()->or([
        'team_id' => $options['id'],
        'opponent_id' => $options['id'],
    ]);

return $query->where($or);
}

// TeamsController
public function view(string $id = null): void
{
    $team = $this->Teams->get($id);
    $matches = $this->Teams->Matches->find('relative', compact('id'));
    $team->matches = $matches->toArray();

$this->set(compact('team'));
}

Personally, I would try this:

• Teams hasMany(‘HomeGames’)
  • Teams hasMany(‘AwayGames’)

From here it would be possible to use the mapper/reducer feature of queries (or write your own merging routine) to place all the records found on the two associations into a matches property of the Team entity.

I would use this approach because I prefer to have a small number of queries that I use widely through my application. And I like them to deliver entities with a rich context of contained data so they can be used in most situations. Because of this, my entities tend to have quite a few methods to ease access to the contained data.

For example, an entity built with the three properties described here might have

/**
 * @param int $venue_id
 */
public function matchesAt($venue_id) : array {
   //implementation here
}

/**
 * @param int $team_id
 * @param string $filter all, home, or away
 */
public function hasPlayed($team_id, $filter = 'all') : bool {
   //implementation here
}

public function hasPlayedAt($venue_id) : bool {
   //implementation here
}

Your current workaround is the answer for me.

I think the only other solution would be denormalize the database (like having a matches_teams with just match_id and team_id) but you would need to have checks to make sure the database is sync (ie each match having two matchs_teams rows)

Or

• Teams belongsToMany Matches
  • Matches belongsToMany Teams

MatchesTeams has at least these three fields:

• match_id
  • team_id
  • home_game (boolean)

I think because you have extra data on the join table you would need to use the ‘through’ option on your associations. But this could eliminated the ‘double key’ problem entirely.

Thanks for your input, @raul338 and @dreamingmind

I forgot to mention that I had tried a belongsToMany association as you both suggested. Yes, that will work, no doubt, but I had hoped there was a simpler way. A belongsToMany association is perfect when there are numerous combinations between the tables (take the tags example from the CakePHP book), but in my case there is always exactly 2 teams, so I thought a belongsToMany association was unneccesary work.

I guess I’ll have to figure out which is the lesser of the evils. Appreciate your time, guys.

1 Like